Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Day 2 of the bust.

So the build went well, and it was time to prime. And oh man did I prime. It took a full cup on my Patriot 105 to prime this guy. For this one I am using the Badger Stylrenz black primer. I switched over from Vallejo Surface Primer a few models back and it's like night and day. The difference is like when you go from a rattle can primer to an airbrush primer if that tells you anything about how good this stuff is.

The lessons learned on this day are a few. First and foremost the bust is too big for a normal holder. As it has that bit of round at the bottom I figured it would suffice. Well...... not so much. The bust is a bit heavy on top and it made maneuvering a bit wonky. You will also notice that I went ahead and attached the shoulder piece to the bust. I debated painting it as a separate piece but the way the angels come together it made more sense to go ahead and just put it together first. I did leave the hair off as it is going to be a nice bright red and I figure it will be much easier to just slide it into the slot later and not have to worry about over spray or under spray with taping.

The next step will be to go a head and add the under highlights. As this one is going to be a sickly green I am going to deviate a bit from my standard. I'll be using a series of whites and yellows for the undertones which should (in theory) set up a really nice nasty green when I shoot the green ink onto it.

So here it is. All black primed and curing over night.

Sunday, January 29, 2017

Punching out of my weight class - The start of an 18cm bust!

Giorgos Tsougkouzidis is an amazing sculptor out of Greece. I happened across his models and had to have one. For those interested you can find him here:


It took about 3 weeks for the package to arrive to the US. It was well packed and nothing was broken when it got here. The kit comes in three pieces which was quite the surprise for something this big. The mold lines and clean up were minimal as you will see in the pictures below. Just to put it into perspective there were less mold lines on this than your typical Privateer Press model, and about the same as a regular Space Marine! The casting is crisp and the detail is just astounding.

I spent about an hour getting the mold lines off and pinning the shoulder to the body. I had debated painting it separately but decided I'd rather work on the piece as a whole.

Up next is priming and getting some inks on this bad boy. This looks to be like a project that is going to take a lot of time, thank the Lord for airbrushes!

Here you can see that it's just three pieces

Even the inside of the mouth is detailed!

Just a bit of mold line on this one. 

Here is a good shot for scale. The model on the left is a standard 28mm model.

And here is is with the shoulder attached. You can see that it's balanced really well.