Friday, September 19, 2014

Knight Titan 9.0  - Oil, oil everywhere....

Well I got home after what was supposed to be a 24 hour shift that turned into 36 hours between both jobs (gotta keep them kids fed). I'm tired but really wanted to get some work done on the Titan.

I hit the parts with Testers Gloss Coat. It's the best thing out there when it comes to gloss coats and you want something very strong and durable when you are about to make an oil based wash so as not to eat the paint underneath.

I chose to go with a really orange oil wash on this one to highlight the rust. I want a brighter rust to contrast the purple and stand out. It also sets a good tone for the next step in the process....... Powders.

So I used this stuff.

I got it from Hobby Lobby with the 40% off coupon for something like $5. This is probably more than I and 10 friends could ever hope to use, but oils never dry out so its all good. 

I grabbed about a 2mm round balls worth of the stuff out and mixed it with Odorless Mineral Spirits to make the wash. I wish I could give you a ratio but I can't. How I do it is I mix it nice and thin to the point of some translucence, then blot it on a paper towel. If it spreads out in a nice spider pattern I know its good to go. 

I started applying the oil wash on the turtle top thing and let capillary action bring it down into all of the nooks and crannies (another bonus to gloss coat). 

You can see how the orange of the wash really brings out the browns of the rust already. 

Then it was onto the leg guards. Now with whites you have to be really careful as you cant just smear it all over and hope for the best. I applied it mostly around the edges and it will set up the powders better on these. 

Same thing with the white on the mask, but I did go with a heavier wash on the silver hear. 

Here is a shot of the legs and torso for good measure too. 

And now its time to wait for the oils to dry at least over night. Oils take a very long time to dry (oil paintings on canvas take YEARS to cure). So a day is nothing in comparison. 

Sunday will be a day of assembling the whole thing, then adding powders and sealing it all up. 

Then onto the base.....

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Quick diversion from the Knight Titan. 

I have really cool, no strike that, amazing news! I had heard about the new Vallejo paint line Vallejo Game Air that is just about to be released. Game Air is a complementary line to Model Air but with the same bright colors as the Game Color line (like the old GW). I contacted Vallejo and they were extremely kind and offered to send me samples to review. Well the paints showed up at my door step today and besides getting to see the wife and kids after 36 hours on shift it was the second best thing putting a big ol grin on my face. 

I asked for and received the following colors:

72.701 Dead White
72.705 Moon Yellow 
72.709 Hot Orange
72.711 Gory Red
72.270 Imperial Blue
72.721 Magic Blue
72.740 Leather Brown
72.743 Beasty Brown
72.725 Dead Flesh
72.753 Chainmail Silver
72.754 Gunmetal
72.756 Glorious Gold
72.757 Bright Bronze
72.758 Brassy Brass
72.761 Khaki
70.510 Gloss Varnish (this is the same as what is currently offered but I had thought it was new for the Game Air line). 

This is a good assortment and should give me a good test on a project to really put these through the paces. After I finish up the Knight Titan of course. 

So readers I put it to you, what shall we try these paints on? I have Privateer Press WarJacks, Hordes WarBeasts, lots of single models from PP, or an old metal Lictor from GW. Let me know what you think I should paint in the comments. 

I'll be off after another 24hr shift tomorrow and hopefully I should have the last installment (read finished!) of the Knight Titan up on Sunday night. 

Monday, September 15, 2014

Knight Titan 8.0

It was time to ruin a perfectly good paint job. Let's get to chipping. The tools of choice for chipping are a used stiff bristle tooth brush, a coffee stir stick cut at an angle, fresh water, and few paper towels.

I start with the toothbrush, getting it mildly wet and rubbing it over the piece. This well get the paint wet and let the hairspray we used earlier in the build dissolve making it easier to to remove the paint. Then I use the stir stick to chip up little pieces and cut scores into the paint where the hair spray has not quite gotten the message. Then another run with the toothbrush and its time to dry the piece off with the paper towel.

Now it is time to let these fully dry and then I will hit them with two coats of testers gloss coat. Normally when I gloss coat I use Vallejo Gloss Coat through the airbrush but we are going to be putting a few oils down and when you need it tough there is nothing better than Testers (seriously its like shellac for models).

I'll be using a burnt sienna oil for the wash as it will compliment the orange/red I used for the rust colors underneath, and should look pretty darn amazing streaked down the white bits. I am also planning to use some red rust powders and a few other things to make this look really rusty and dirty.

I'll be back around Friday with new update. Till then y'all.