Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Well would you lookie here. It's been a productive few days for painting little war dollies.

I was able to get the first coat of paint down over the hairspray. I tend to let the hairspray dry for about 24 hours before painting over it. It probably doesn't need nearly that long but hey better safe then sorry.

I used P3 Hammer Fall Khaki as my base coat because I am going with the paint job from the Mercenaries book. After this I'll be adding things like Chrome and Steel for the boiler, piping, joints, screws etc.

I also started on the base. I am using Secret Weapons Miniatures, Urban Rubble Base for this guy. I primed it black as I will be making it look really dusty and dirty using SWM Pigments and a grey dry brush for the rubble. You'll notice a pin sticking out of the base, its just a marker for me to find the hole that the pin in the bottom of the Jacks foot will fit into when done (pro tip....take time to try it out before drilling into the base......) Also the pin is a great way to hold onto the base while working on it.

You have to be really careful the next stage as you can't really use the airbrush (well I haven't figured out how to that makes sense for this stage) and you want your paint to be thin but you can't have too much on the brush because the moister is what is going to loosen up and dissolve the hair spray underneath when it's time to pull out the rust.

So yea....picture time.

Sunday, March 2, 2014

Wow, time really does fly when you have 4 kids, a wife, and a crazy job.

I realized that it has been a good long while since I updated this blog, but then it's been a really long time since I sat down and actually painted anything.

So for this installment of "What has his ADD butt painted" I started working on the one and only Wroughthammer Rockram from Privateer Press. This is a Rhulic Warjack from the Merc's faction. I got this model used, and he was not treated with love. I had to soak it in Simple Green for a day, then scrub him, then soak him again (repeated a few times). The next fun and exciting phase was super glue removal. It was like chipping marble and I really wasn't sure if I would find Michelangelo's "David" when I was through. Next it was time to pin. I went big, like 1mm thick brass rod big. for the arms, legs and torso.

He has been primed, a few shades of brown added for the rust effect, gloss coated, and hair sprayed.

You can see that I did 4 different shades of brown on this one. I am trying to vary it like you would see on real rust this time.

So here are the starting pics. I hope he comes out great.