Friday, July 21, 2017

Nemo part 3.

Well things are moving along with this bust. I'm still happily surprised with how smooth and almost easy it is to paint this thing. The lines are just nice and crisp, the edges are defined well. I kinda wish everything was as nice to paint as this one.

With that all out of the way, lets get down to some painting.

I started by grabbing the silly putty to mask off the face. I used a sculpting tool to push the putty away from the face and into the crevasses so that I had a clear shot to the face with the airbrush. It's almost funny how much it looks like a shroud.

After that I used Reaper Masters Series Olive Drab as the base color for the skin tone. Then moved on to a glaze of Reaper Masters Series Tanned Flesh. After that dried I hit it with the Tanned Flesh Highlight (again watered down to a glaze). 

Up next will be to darken the shaded parts of the face and bring up the highlights a bit more, but that's all for the next installment. 

Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Nemo part 2.5 - The re-rusting.

If you don't take pictures while working I'd implore you to start. It's amazing what you can see when you take a step back and literally look through a lens at your work. I did just this with the Nemo bust and realized that I was not happy with the chipping. It looked too uniform and forced and needed fixing. So I went back with a hard bristle tooth brush some water and ice in my veins to set things right.

I think this looks much better now.