Saturday, December 5, 2015

Bombardier Bombshell 3.0

And the work continues on this model. I know it's not as fast as others I have worked on. I am taking my time and doing this one the best I can, as it's going to be my entry into the next painting competition I can get to.

I have been working on the girl's torso over the last week. I started the skin by using a base coat of VMC - Russian Green, then did a light wash in Old GW - Witch Purple. I basically made a glaze out of the paint by going with about a 15:1 ratio of water to paint. Once the wash dried, I did the same with VMC - Base Flesh at 10:1 and slowly built up the color. I really like the green, purple under the base flesh as it gives it some much needed depth.

One the base flesh tone was were I wanted it. I started to blend it with a highlight of VMC - Bright flesh. I think it looks pretty good so far.

Then I worked on the tank top, I used the P3 - Gnarls Green, then created the highlight color by adding Old GW - Bleached Bone.

After that It was time to work on the hair a bit. I started with P3 - Blood Tracker Brown and used a highlight of VGC - Beasty Brown.

Here is the results so far. Next up is to finish the torso then start finishing up the MOW suite and work on the base.

Monday, November 30, 2015

Bombardier Bombshell 2.0

I let the primer cure overnight and it was time to get some paint on the model.

I started with VMC - Black/Grey to set the base color as dark as I am comfortable (see previous rants about using strait black).  Then moved on to the under highlights with VGC - Stone Grey.

As you can see I went really heavy on the highlights. I want the red to really pop on this one so the brighter I go now, the more Cherry Red it will be when complete. 

I did a quick rinse of the airbrush while the paint dried and then it was time for the first red ink to go on. 

Once that was in place, The second highlight of VMC - Flat Flesh Tone was applied to give the highlights a warmer feeling. 

And onto to the second coat of red ink. 

After the ink dried (and that's critical) I gave the whole thing a heafty dose of Testor's Gloss Varnish.

And now we wait for the gloss to dry and cure. Next up will be the browns and base colors for all the fiddly bits and details.

Sunday, November 29, 2015

A new competition project. 1.0

At Warmachine Weekend I was given quite a bit of great feedback and some great advice on my painting. With all of that fresh on my mind it's time to start on a new project.

I wanted to find a model that was both fun and challenging. I spent a about a week looking around the web trying to find something that would inspire me and challenge me, and then I remembered I had a Privateer Press Bombardier Bombshell still sitting in the blister.

For those who don't know what I am talking about, the Bombshell is a convention special model, It's big, fun and has a beer in her hand! Well here look.

Now I knew what to do, it was time to build. I started by spending about 2 hours removing mold lines and filing the pieces down to fit. 

I wanted to do a display base for her as there is so much to this model I don't feel like a 40mm round base can do it justice. 

As to the painting part it's a bit bigger and more fiddly than normal so I had to figure out a way to hold it while painting. I took 4 corks and taped the snot out of them for a good hold and the right size. 

Everything that could be painted together was pinned and assembled and then it was time to prime. 

So here we are, me waiting for the primer to cure and dreaming about getting some nice cherry red and chrome onto her. I'm thinking the model is going to be an homage to the 50s. 

Stay tuned, this one might turn out epic. (or go down in flames, either way it should be interesting).