Thursday, January 28, 2016

Making old timey looking paper for diorama's / display.

We have all seen amazing diorama's with wonderful old time looking paper on them, usually they have some kind of description or saying. They are a great way to break up a mundane piece of wood and add a nice touch of style to the piece.

So how do you make it? Well it's incredibly easy to do.

There are a few things you will need to gather:

1. A piece of paper (duh)
2. Tea  (or coffee in a pinch) brewed.
3. A pan
4. Your oven set to 200 degrees F. (If your from the rest of the word just go and google the conversion calculator).


When you have everything you need. Go ahead and print out what you want to say on the paper (unless you are planning to do the writing by hand later). Personally I have the hand writing of an epileptic 3 year old so I chose to find a font I liked then printed it out.


I then placed the paper in a backing tray that would fit into my toaster oven.


And poured the tea over the paper getting it good and soaked.


I let the paper sit in the tea for a few minutes. I left it long enough for the paper to absorb as much tea as it could hold. Then gently dumped the excess liquid out of the pan.

My toaster oven was warm by then and I placed the cooking sheet with the paper inside and set the timer for 15 minutes (give or take a few minutes).

I let the paper bake till it looked like this.


Then it was just a matter of tearing the paper to the shape you would like.


And now its done and can be glued to the plinth when the model is ready.

So there you go a simple easy trick to take your diorama's to the next level.

No comments:

Post a Comment